Comfort food at its best, this rich and creamy risotto, flavoured with tangy blue cheese and smokey bacon, is a real feast.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 275g risotto rice
- 100ml dry white wine
- 850ml chicken stock, hot
- 2 rindless smoked bacon rashers, chopped
- 75g Barkham Blue, cubed
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan. Add the shallots and cook over low heat for 3 minutes. Add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon until the grains become translucent and have absorbed most of the oil.
- Pour in the wine and stir constantly until it is absorbed. Add sufficient hot stock to just cover the rice, stir, and cook until all the liquid has been absorbed, stirring occasionally. Repeat this process two or three times until the stock is used up.
- Meanwhile, gently cook the bacon in a frying pan or grill until crispy.
- Stir the Barkham Blue and crème fraiche into the risotto. Grind over some pepper and taste to check the seasoning. Scatter over the bacon and serve immediately.
Serves 4 A great winter warmer soup – and thoroughly British – OK with a nod to the French for the bread!INGREDIENTS 1 swede, peeled and cut into 2.5cm/ 1 inch cubes 3 tbsp olive oil 1 onion, finely chopped 2 carrots, finely chopped 2 celery stalks, finely chopped 1...
Yields 300 The saltiness and tang of this cheese make this a great accompaniment for steaks and burgers. INGREDIENTS 150g/5 1/2 oz Barkham Blue, crumbled 150g/5 1/2 oz unsalted butter, diced then softened to room temperature 2 tbsp snipped chives freshly ground black...
Serves 2 INGREDIENTS 2 large steaks or 4 small steaks (your favourite cut and thickness) salt and pepper to taste 1 tablespoon oil 2 tablespoons butter 1 small onion (sliced) 2 cloves garlic (chopped) 1 teaspoon thyme (chopped) 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced) salt and...