Comfort food at its best, this rich and creamy risotto, flavoured with tangy blue cheese and smokey bacon, is a real feast.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 275g risotto rice
- 100ml dry white wine
- 850ml chicken stock, hot
- 2 rindless smoked bacon rashers, chopped
- 75g Barkham Blue, cubed
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan. Add the shallots and cook over low heat for 3 minutes. Add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon until the grains become translucent and have absorbed most of the oil.
- Pour in the wine and stir constantly until it is absorbed. Add sufficient hot stock to just cover the rice, stir, and cook until all the liquid has been absorbed, stirring occasionally. Repeat this process two or three times until the stock is used up.
- Meanwhile, gently cook the bacon in a frying pan or grill until crispy.
- Stir the Barkham Blue and crème fraiche into the risotto. Grind over some pepper and taste to check the seasoning. Scatter over the bacon and serve immediately.
Serves 4 INGREDIENTS 500g spring greens or spinach, roughly chopped olive oil butter 1 onion, finely chopped 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 400g risotto rice 150ml white wine chicken stock fresh, cube or concentrate made up to 600ml, hot 4 tbsp chopped flat-leaf...
Serves 4 by Mark Hix There are still good leaves around in the winter months such as watercress, rocket and small spinach leaves. This is a good light salad or starter. Barkham blue is one of my favourite British blue cheeses, made at Two Hoots Cheese (0118-976 0401;...
Serves 4 A low-carb treat, ready in 5 mins 5 min 10 min15 min INGREDIENTS 4 large field mushrooms 100g Barkham Blue cheese, finely chopped 25g walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped 4 thyme sprigs knob butter, cut into small pieces rocket leaves, to serve INSTRUCTIONS...