- 500g spring greens or spinach, roughly chopped
- olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400g risotto rice
- 150ml white wine
- chicken stock fresh, cube or concentrate made up to 600ml, hot
- 4 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 150g Barkham Blue cheese, chopped
- 25g pine nuts, toasted
- Boil 600ml water with a pinch of salt and cook the greens for 1 minute. Drain, reserving the liquid.
- Heat a large pan and add 2 tbsp oil and a small knob of butter. Heat until the butter is foaming then add the onion and gently cook for about 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the rice and heat through for a few minutes until the grains are shiny and coated. Pour in the wine and cook over a high heat for 1 minute to allow the alcohol to evaporate, stirring constantly.
- Turn down the heat to medium and begin to add the liquid from the spring greens, a ladleful at a time, allowing it to be absorbed into the rice before adding more. When the liquid is used up, continue the process with the stock. It should take 20 minutes.
- When the texture is creamy, but each grain is still firm to the bite in the centre, the risotto is ready. Take it off the heat and stir in the greens, parsley, blue cheese, pine nuts. Season. Leave to rest with the lid on for a few minutes then serve immediately.
Serves 4 A great winter warmer soup – and thoroughly British – OK with a nod to the French for the bread!INGREDIENTS 1 swede, peeled and cut into 2.5cm/ 1 inch cubes 3 tbsp olive oil 1 onion, finely chopped 2 carrots, finely chopped 2 celery stalks, finely chopped 1...
Yields 300 The saltiness and tang of this cheese make this a great accompaniment for steaks and burgers. INGREDIENTS 150g/5 1/2 oz Barkham Blue, crumbled 150g/5 1/2 oz unsalted butter, diced then softened to room temperature 2 tbsp snipped chives freshly ground black...
Serves 2 INGREDIENTS 2 large steaks or 4 small steaks (your favourite cut and thickness) salt and pepper to taste 1 tablespoon oil 2 tablespoons butter 1 small onion (sliced) 2 cloves garlic (chopped) 1 teaspoon thyme (chopped) 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced) salt and...