- 500g spring greens or spinach, roughly chopped
- olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400g risotto rice
- 150ml white wine
- chicken stock fresh, cube or concentrate made up to 600ml, hot
- 4 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 150g Barkham Blue cheese, chopped
- 25g pine nuts, toasted
- Boil 600ml water with a pinch of salt and cook the greens for 1 minute. Drain, reserving the liquid.
- Heat a large pan and add 2 tbsp oil and a small knob of butter. Heat until the butter is foaming then add the onion and gently cook for about 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the rice and heat through for a few minutes until the grains are shiny and coated. Pour in the wine and cook over a high heat for 1 minute to allow the alcohol to evaporate, stirring constantly.
- Turn down the heat to medium and begin to add the liquid from the spring greens, a ladleful at a time, allowing it to be absorbed into the rice before adding more. When the liquid is used up, continue the process with the stock. It should take 20 minutes.
- When the texture is creamy, but each grain is still firm to the bite in the centre, the risotto is ready. Take it off the heat and stir in the greens, parsley, blue cheese, pine nuts. Season. Leave to rest with the lid on for a few minutes then serve immediately.
Serves 4 by Mark Hix There are still good leaves around in the winter months such as watercress, rocket and small spinach leaves. This is a good light salad or starter. Barkham blue is one of my favourite British blue cheeses, made at Two Hoots Cheese (0118-976 0401;...
Serves 4 A low-carb treat, ready in 5 mins 5 min 10 min15 min INGREDIENTS 4 large field mushrooms 100g Barkham Blue cheese, finely chopped 25g walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped 4 thyme sprigs knob butter, cut into small pieces rocket leaves, to serve INSTRUCTIONS...
This pie is wonderfully rich. Earthy beetroot adds to this wonderful winter dish.INGREDIENTS For the rough puff pastry: 250g/9oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting 250g/9oz cold butter, cut into small cubes ½ tsp salt 125ml/4½fl oz ice-cold water For the pie filling:...